The Humanist Studies Program gives serious consideration to every applicant who is committed to taking full advantage of our program. Each applicant must provide evidence that supports involvement and/or dedication to Humanist ideas ranging from strictly secular to a religious perspective. The Institute reserves the right to deny admission to any applicant it judges unlikely to benefit from its programs.
It is the goal of THI’s Humanist Studies Program Admission’s Committee to ensure that individuals are qualified applicants.
The committee considers the following factors in reaching admissions decisions:
- Academic history and professional experience
- Demonstrates involvement and dedication to Humanist ideals ranging from strictly secular to religious perspectives
- Ability to work well in a variety of settings
- Ability to engage in different learning environments
- Demonstrated critical thinking and writing skills
- Potential for scholarly research
- Personal motivation and readiness for graduate level work
- Any special features of the applicant’s record, which may have an impact on his or her ability to participate in the program
- Other relevant personal qualities and characteristics of significance such as work experience, leadership qualities, commitment to volunteer, community service, and communication skills
We seek students who will discover their beliefs, explore principles, gain insight into values, discuss and challenge their knowledge of Humanism. We seek students who wish to not only engage in their personal intellectual pursuit of Humanism, but desire to build communities in a world where Humanism is a widely accepted and respected life stance.
Students may gain admissions by meeting the following requirements:
- Earned a least an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university or have the equivalent professional experience
- The minimum expected grade point average (GPA) requirement is 3.0 from the last degree-granting institution, though exceptions may be made
- Completed the Application for enrollment